Thursday, February 19, 2015

Organizing Your Classroom Library


   
    I just read this article about reorganizing your classroom library {click here}. It got me thinking about my classroom library. I have changed my ideas on how I organize my library over my years of teaching. At first, I leveled my library because that is what my district was promoting in their training but I saw lots of other ideas over the years and changed my plan. A few years back, I started organizing my fiction and nonfiction and then some books by series (Magic Tree House, A-Z Mysteries, etc.) and by topic or genre. At first, I was given baskets to level my books - the red, yellow and green ones. Then I added the whites ones because they were bigger and held odd-shaped books. Finally, I fell in love with the pink and blue ones that have dividers but they are expensive so, I have a mix of all kinds of baskets!
   Another idea that I have heard is letting the kids organize the books however they want! I thought - Not ME! Then today, I read the above article from Scholastic about a teacher who took the books out of the bins and let her students organize the books however, they wanted. I am toying with this idea but I have not decided.
   What are your thoughts? How do you organize your library and do you let your students decide how to organize it?

No comments:

Post a Comment